According to former America’s Cup Captain and Oxbow Corp President Bill Koch, “The problem of competition is primarily a management problem.” According to Koch, these guidelines provide steadfast reminders of the dynamic impact of the relationship among teamwork, technology, and talent:
- Develop team players according to the 80/20 rule: 80% attitude, 20 % talent.
- Management’s job is to keep the team focused, not perform subordinates’ jobs.
- It’s the team that wins. Management must be part of the team, together with customers and suppliers. Team members must have compatible goals and agendas.
- Everyone is equally important. The only ego that counts is the ego of the team.
- Together with teamwork, technology offers the most effective tool to achieve your organization’s goals. Technology can be especially effective when used in areas in which others are convinced that it doesn’t apply. This is one way to make tremendous gains over your competitors.
- Always improve. Mistakes are fine as long as you learn from them, and you “don’t bet the farm.”
That’s timeless wisdom for any team.