Have you audited your practices for these common wage and hour exposures?
- Exempt vs. non-exempt. Have you classified your exempt employees properly or are you risking an overtime exposure?
- Rest and meal period violations. Is the employee truly relieved from work and are your time-keeping clocks tracking meals accurately?
- Travel time. Many workers who start from their home and then go to multiple locations fall under “portal-to-portal laws.”
- 1099 misclassification. As indicated on the blog site, www.1099timebomb.com, this is a significant exposure. The IRS and state agencies are looking to find as many people as they can who are classified as employees.
- Failure to pay prevailing wage. If you’re working a government or quasi-government project, make sure you’re complying with all wage requirements.