Skip to main content
Personal Perspective

Will my homeowner’s insurance cover that?

By December 3, 2013No Comments


Not all homeowners policy cover everything the ‘what ifs’ of life.

Most homeowner’s insurance policies have gaps in coverage, which can get expensive in the case of any emergency. Here are just a few of them:

  • Earthquakes. Most homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover earthquakes. You will need a separate policy for coverage.
  • Floods. If you have a flood in your basement and no extra flood coverage, you’ll be paying for damages out of pocket.
  • A new building code? Your county passes a new building code and your house is not up to par. Only “ordinance or law” policies will reimburse your upgrades.
  • Did you cover your pipes for the winter? I hope so, otherwise any damages will be paid by you.
  • Fido. Due to certain breeds being labeled as ‘aggressive,’ not all types of dogs are covered under the homeowners’ policy, specifically Doberman Pinschers or Pitbulls.
  • Put your money in a bank. If you have money lying around your house and it gets stolen or damaged, the homeowners’ policy may only cover up to $1,000 of it.
  • Pools. You will need an umbrella policy to cover any injuries incurred around the pool area, since it is considered an ‘attractive nuisance.’

These are just a couple of the possible gap scenarios. There are many more. Make sure you contact our office for a complete review of your homeowner’s policy so that we can close the gaps.