Skip to main content
Personal Perspective


By January 3, 2014No Comments

If you’re renting a home and think that Homeowners insurance will pay for loss or damage to your belongings, think again.

A Homeowners policy covers the structure of a dwelling and lot, not the contents of the home. As a renter, you’ll need Renters insurance to cover your possessions.

Here are more tips about this coverage:

  • Because your possessions are worth only a fraction of a building’s structure, a Renters policy will cost much less than homeowners insurance.
  • If you have a roommate who carries a Renters policy, find out if it covers your belongings.. Chances are that you’ll need to buy your own insurance.
  • When you’re considering the amount of coverage, be sure list everything you have: appliances, rugs, and furniture (even hand-me-downs) Replacing a flat screen TV, refrigerator or bed. can get pricey.
  • Don’t assume that you can avoid a natural disaster Remember, anything can happen to anyone at any time. It’s far better –and less expensive — to be safe than sorry.

We’d be happy to provide you with help (including a sample inventory of household contents) to choose a policy that can protect your precious possessions, at a price you can afford.