When you think of safety hazards and employee injuries, you probably focus on what goes on inside the workplace. However, one of the greatest threats to worker safety is in your parking lot. Motor vehicle accidents are the most common cause of workplace deaths, representing about one in four fatal work injuries.
Whether they drive on the job or commute by car, everyone in your company should take a comprehensive defensive driving course. Here are some basic rules for employees to follow:
- Buckle up for safety.
- Follow traffic rules, signs, and signals.
- Don’t speed and keep at least two to four seconds behind the vehicle in front.
- Keep your eyes on the road, your hands on the wheel, and your attention on traffic.
- Check your rearview and side mirrors frequently.
- Adjust your speed and driving to changing weather and traffic conditions.
- Expect the unexpected, and stay especially alert in heavy traffic for sudden stops, work zones, road debris, and vehicles passing or changing lanes.
- Keep cool, yield the right of way, and avoid disputes with other drivers.
- Pull over to make or receive phone calls.
- Keep your vehicle maintained properly and follow the manufacturers’ recommendations for oil changes, tune-ups, and so on.
- Don’t drink or take drugs and drive.
An ounce of prevention …