Skip to main content
Construction Insurance Bulletin


By February 1, 2013No Comments

What do cranes, compressors, concrete mixers, and welding rigs have in common? All are types of construction equipment. And all are also types of equipment that a construction business must move around regularly. When the time comes for the move, are they carried on or towed by another vehicle, or do they have the capability to go from one location to another under their own power?

For example, some cranes have crawler treads to move them about a job location. However, transporting them to another job means packing them onto a trailer. Other cranes are combinations of truck and crane. When it’s time to move, the operator climbs into the cab and drives to the next site. Is such a piece of equipment a truck with a crane attached, or is it a crane with wheels?

Such combination vehicles, known in insurance terms as “mobile equipment,” have their own insurance implications and rules on how to provide Liability and/or Physical Damage coverages. To be certain that your policies remain tailored to your current inventory of equipment, give us a call. Together, we can work through your list of equipment, and determine which types need which policy.

Let us help you make sure that when your equipment moves, your insurance goes along for the ride.