Skip to main content

Personal Perspective


By Personal Perspective

Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in our nation today. According to the Federal Trade Commission, more than 20% of all cases involve telecommunications and the Internet. Scam artists are pros at putting together legitimate-sounding scripts, Web sites, and e-mails.

Most scams, by phone or e-mail, ask you to provide either credit card account information or Social Security number. The Identity Theft Resource Center recommends that you never give out this information unless you initiate the call and you know for sure you are speaking to a true company representative.

The list of scams below represents only a few of the scams being circulated. Do not respond to these scams, not even to send a “do not contact me” e-mail in an attempt to remove your name from the list.

Account verification or “phisher” scams: These con artists purchase domain names that are similar to those of legitimate companies to use for scams. For example, those involving the use of the E-Bay name include and The scam involves sending out millions of e-mails trying to get consumers’ credit card and other identity information. They might, for example, ask you to “verify” a purchase you never made or threaten cancellation of your account if you do not provide the requested information. Do not respond to e-mails that ask for credit information, SSN, and other personal data until you have checked with the company directly to see whether the e-mail is legitimate. Companies that have been used for this scam include: Best Buy, Discover Card, AOL, MSN, Earthlink, PayPal, and Bank of America.

“Help me move money from my country” scams: Most people with e-mail addresses have received e-mail from someone purportedly in a foreign country asking the recipient to help the sender to move money from one account to another often for some humanitarian purpose, such as paying medical bills for a sick relative. Also known as “Nigerian Money Offers,” because the senders often claim to be in Nigeria, this scam promises to pay the recipient for their help. These scams predate the Internet and many people are aware of them already. Even so, estimates show these scams still net $100 million annually.

Canadian/Netherlands Lottery – “You Have Won”: Unless you entered a lottery or bought a ticket to win a prize, these are scams. This scam has bilked some victims of more than $20,000.

“Free Credit Report” Scams: Almost all the “free credit report” e-mails you receive are scams. Either the scamster is trying to find out your SSN or will be billing you for a service later.

“You have won a free gift”: You might receive either a phone call or e-mail about a free gift or prize. You just need to send your credit card info to take care of shipping and handling. Free means free; there should be no charge. Once in receipt of your credit card information the scammers can use it against your will.

Questionnaires: You might get an e-mail card from an “old friend” or “chat room friend.” You are asked questions that help the sender find out your birth date, passwords (favorite things) and even blatantly ask for your SSN. Do not answer these, even with false information. You only let the other party know they have reached a “live” person and you could later give away information you never realized could hurt you.

Identity Theft from Resumes: Do not place your SSN or date of birth on resumes that you send out for jobs. There have been instances where a person placed a “help wanted ad” either on the Internet or in a newspaper and collected SSNs and other personal information from resumes submitted seeking the job.

Fake IRS Audits: Some taxpayers have received e-mail indicating they are subject to an “e-audit” and need to complete a questionnaire within 48 hours to avoid assessment of penalties and interest. The e-mail asks for the taxpayers SSN, bank account numbers, and other confidential information. The IRS does not conduct e-audits, nor does it notify taxpayers of a pending audit via e-mail.

For more information on identity theft scams, go to the Web site of the ITRC at If you receive a suspected scam e-mail, forward it to the ITRC at: and they will let you know if it is a confirmed scam and take appropriate action.


By Personal Perspective

Most of us prefer to avoid thinking about scenarios that would cause an insurance claim — our homes damaged by fire or wind, someone injured on our property, or people hurt in an auto accident. However, it is necessary to give some thought to these disturbing possibilities to ensure that you are adequately prepared and protected in the event of such a catastrophe. Reviewing your insurance coverage will also clarify if there’s a need for an additional Umbrella policy for extra protection. So, let’s try to cover some of the basics on coverage limits.

Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners insurance covers three areas: Damage to the home, damage to the contents of the home (personal property), and your liability for injuries to others.

Before obtaining Homeowners insurance, it’s a good idea to stop and consider exactly what you want the insurance to offer you. You might want coverage just to pay off the mortgage in the event you can no longer occupy your home. It’s more likely you’ll want to continue living in your home after a claim or sell it at market value, so you will want your insurance to pay for repairs caused by fire, wind, or some other covered peril. In most cases, reconstruction means you will need insurance that actually covers more than the home’s market value.

Replacement value, which is the cost to reconstruct a damaged home, is generally higher than the cost of buying a similar home on the market due to the specialized nature of reconstruction as opposed to new construction. For example, in reconstruction there will be the initial cost of debris cleanup. New construction starts at the bottom and builds up, but with reconstruction it’s often necessary to take off the roof and build down, which is more expensive. Furthermore, after a natural disaster, construction costs rise due to demand. Bear in mind that your insurance can cover not only the costs to rebuild, but also the costs for you to live elsewhere, if necessary, while the home reconstruction is completed. We are experienced in determining replacement value and can help assess your coverage needs as well as determine available coverage based on the age and condition of your home.

Also consider whether you want replacement coverage for clothing, furniture, appliances, and other personal property inside your home. Without replacement coverage, your coverage for personal property is depreciated by the age and wear of the items lost. Due to depreciation, the computer you paid $1,500 for three years ago may be valued at only $400 or $500, which is all the insurance company would pay if you don’t have replacement coverage.

Some insureds will need more coverage for personal property (contents) than their policy provides. The amount of personal property coverage is usually limited to 70% of the coverage limit for the structure. For example, if you have an art collection, antique furniture, jewelry, or other valuable possessions, talk to your agent about supplemental coverages, such as fine arts or scheduled property endorsements, to adequately protect your investment in these items. The cost is modest for the extra protection.

The standard amount of liability coverage in a Homeowners policy is $100,000, which covers personal liability for damage to property or personal injury caused to others. Will this be enough to protect your assets in the event you are found liable in a personal injury lawsuit? If not, you need to consider a higher level of liability coverage with your Homeowners policy and/or you may want to consider purchasing a separate Liability Umbrella policy (discussed below).

Auto Insurance

There are six different types of Auto insurance coverage. Three relate to liability, two for damage to your vehicle, and one provides specific coverage for accidents involving you and an uninsured or underinsured driver.

Collision coverage covers the costs of damage to your vehicle caused by collisions with other cars or objects. Comprehensive coverage covers theft or damage to the vehicle caused by events other than a collision with another car or object. How much coverage you need depends on the value of your vehicle.

Auto liability insurance is required in most, if not all, states, but the liability limits that drivers are required might not be enough to protect your assets. Even one serious injury caused by an accident for which you are liable could cost into the six figures, or more in extreme cases, just for medical expenses. And the amount only increases if there are more injured people. It’s easy to see that the $50,000 of per accident liability coverage required in many states would not be enough to pay all the costs of property damage and bodily injury. Auto insurance companies recommend that you have $100,000 of bodily injury protection per person and $300,000 per accident. If your personal net worth is more than $300,000, consider buying additional Liability Auto insurance.

Do I Need an Umbrella Policy?

Unfortunately, even with our best intentions and efforts, accidents can happen for which we are legally at fault. Medical costs are sky high. If someone were permanently disabled by an accident, the expenses of lifetime care could be astronomical. If someone killed left behind survivors who were depending on that person for support, you could be liable for damages to the survivors. Keep in mind that any costs not covered by insurance will come out of your pocket; you could be forced to sell property or to turn over part of your earnings for years to come, perhaps the rest of your working life, to an injured party.

There are limits on the amount of liability coverage available as part of your Homeowners and Auto insurance policies. If you have total assets valued at more than these limits — including, say, your vacation home, investments, rental property, boats and vehicles — or if you have a high income, an Umbrella policy offers a great deal of protection for a relatively low premium.

In addition to the assets you want to protect, you might want to consider your risk of being sued. Do you live in a state that is particularly friendly to plaintiffs? Do you have frequent guests on your property? Do you have a swimming pool, trampoline, swing set, or other sports equipment in your yard? Do you have a dog that is overly protective of your property? Are you or any of your household members aggressive, fast, or careless drivers? If so, your risk is greater that someone may be injured, perhaps very seriously, and you would be legally at fault. In fact, any situation that could result in serious injury, long-term physical impairment, psychological damage or death could put your financial well-being at risk.

Once the liability limits are exhausted on your home or Auto policy, your Umbrella policy takes over and provides another layer of liability protection. Policies typically start at $1 million with coverage available up to $10 million. Premiums start at around $300 a year — less than a dollar a day for a great deal of protection.

The best way to determine whether you need an Umbrella policy is to discuss your financial status, lifestyle, and current and future assets with your insurance agent. We’d be happy to review the liability limits in your current policies and suggest the best strategy to ensure protection of your assets in the event of an injury for which you are legally liable.


By Personal Perspective

You’re about to buy a new home or new car and you believe you’ve found the perfect one for you. You need to insure your new treasure, but for some reason you can’t find a carrier to cover it. Is there any way you can find out why you seem to be uninsurable? The answer is simple, get clued in with CLUE.

CLUE, also known as Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange, is a database of consumer claims compiled by a company called ChoicePoint that insurance companies access when they are underwriting or rating a Homeowners or Auto insurance policy. An insurer can request a report for a piece of personal property that it is underwriting and receive claims information provided by the insurance companies who previously insured the property. This report also includes details such as the policyholder name, policy number, date of loss, type of loss, amounts paid, and a description of the property covered. The database contains up to five years of personal property claims history.

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, ChoicePoint can produce a CLUE report when a person or company intends to use the information in connection with the underwriting of a consumer’s insurance policy. This includes situations where the consumer asks for an insurance quote or applies for insurance; or when the insurance company or agent requests the CLUE report.

Why would an insurance company investigate loss history? Actuarial studies have shown a high correlation exists between a consumer’s prior loss history and future loss potential. This history, along with other factors, can be considered when a company is deciding whether to issue a policy and what premium to charge. It is legal for a company to investigate a prior owner’s loss history in determining your eligibility for coverage.

As a consumer, you are not without rights when it comes to CLUE. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you have a right to see and correct information on your claims history reports. If you have been denied insurance or charged a higher premium, contact ChoicePoint or ISO within 60 days of your denial to request a free report. Otherwise, you will be charged a small fee for your claims history report. You can find more information by logging on to ChoicePoint’s Website.


By Personal Perspective

As boating season approaches, the U.S. Coast Guard is once again expressing concern over the continuing increase in boating fatalities and injuries, and plans to step up its safety education for boaters. Statistics show that for the second consecutive year boating fatalities increased (710 deaths in 2006) as did the number of reported injuries. The reports also reveal some other disturbing facts:

  • Two-thirds of all fatalities were due to drowning and 90% of the victims were not wearing a life jacket. Simply put, more than 50% of boating deaths could have been prevented if the victims had worn a life jacket.
  • Alcohol was the leading contributing factor in approximately one-fifth of all boating fatalities.
  • About 70% of all boating fatalities occurred on boats where the operator had not received boating safety instruction.
  • The most reported type of accident was a collision with another vessel. However, capsizing and falls overboard are the most reported types of fatal accidents and accounted for the vast majority (59%) of all boating fatalities.
  • Overall, operator inattention, carelessness/reckless operation, excessive speed and passenger/skier behavior are the leading contributing factors of all reported accidents.

Here are some simple tips boat owners and their passengers can take to insure their safety while enjoying recreational boating:

  • Wear your life jacket – As evidenced above, wearing a life jacket is the single most important thing you can do to ensure your safety on the water. And it doesn’t matter how great of a swimmer you are, you should still wear a life jacket!
  • Take boating safety courses – Boat owners, operators and passengers should complete courses offered by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and others. The Coast Guard Auxiliary encourages everyone who might be put in a position of having to take command due to incapacity of the owner/operator to take a basic safety course. America’s Boating Course (ABC) is a new electronic, basic boating course produced through a partnership between the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary and the United States Power Squadrons®. It’s available online at and on CD-ROM.
  • Get a free Vessel Safety Check – Boat owners are encouraged to take advantage of free safety checks offered by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary. It’s your best way to learn about potential problems that might put you in violation of state or federal laws, or — worse — create danger for you or your passengers on the water.
    Vessel Examiners issue no citations. And there are no penalties for not successfully completing a Vessel Safety Check.
  • Don’t drink and boat – In the marine environment — motion, vibration, engine noise, sun, wind, and spray intensify the effect of alcohol and drugs. These “stressors” cause fatigue — and dramatically affect a boat operator’s coordination, judgment, vision, and reaction time. Levels of blood alcohol or medications that would have little impact on land can potentially cause a much greater degree of impairment for the operator of a boat. So never boat under the influence!

The complete 2006 Boating Statistics report is available from the U.S. Coast Guard Office of Auxiliary and Boating at


By Personal Perspective

There comes a certain point in your life when you can look back with a sense of pride at what you have been able to accomplish. Your hard work has paid off and you now are the proud owner of a nice house, a great vacation home, a luxury car and all the other amenities associated with the good life.

If you have reached this stage of your life, you are now wealthy enough to be vulnerable to lawsuits. Incidents can occur in your day-to-day activities that could potentially cost you. For example, the elm tree in front of your home could fall onto a neighbor’s house, and in the process, pull down electrical wires that start a fire, burning the neighbors house to the ground. Depending on the neighborhood, replacement costs for the house could be several million.

Or perhaps you have just been named to the board of your favorite non-profit. The organization is being sued for personal injuries that occurred during their annual bazaar. As a board member you are also liable and can be sued.

If you’re like most people, you feel confident that your Homeowner’s and Auto insurance will protect you if you fall victim to a claim arising from normal activities. What you should be aware of is that although these policies do include liability coverage, the amount of coverage usually tops out at $300,000.

To protect assets, people need to increase their coverage with an Umbrella policy. Umbrella policies take over after the liability insurance in your Homeowner’s and Auto policy stops. The Umbrella policy will pay claims above the liability limits you currently have, up to the limit you have selected.

Since the major portion of the risk is assumed under the primary auto or Homeowner’s policy, Personal Liability Umbrella insurance is inexpensive. You can buy a $1 million or larger Umbrella policy for about $200 a year.

Many carriers prefer to sell Umbrella policies to clients who have both their Auto and Homeowner’s insurance coverage with them. Your insurance company may also require that your primary liability limits be a certain amount. Umbrella policies are generally sold with a deductible ranging from $250 to $1,000. Your carrier covers you if your actions cause bodily injury, property damage, or personal injury to someone else.

The broadest coverage under an Umbrella policy is probably the Personal Injury coverage because it includes coverage against false arrest, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution, defamation, invasion of privacy, wrongful entry, or eviction. Your Homeowner’s and Auto insurance policies cover bodily injury and property damage, but not personal injury. You can also buy Umbrella policies that include coverage if you are held liable in the course of serving on the board of a nonprofit organization.

Another important aspect of this type of coverage is it not only pays damages, but also lawyer’s fees and defense costs should you be the defendant in a lawsuit. Even if a lawsuit is obviously a nuisance suit, you still have to pay the costs for mounting a defense. In this age of rising litigation expense, it is reassuring to know that you are well equipped to handle it before the need arises. Please contact our agency for more details on this important coverage.


By Personal Perspective

Are you guilty of sending text messages from behind the wheel? If you are, you’re not alone. Although hard statistics on the practice are scarce, it’s clearly a growing problem. More than 150 billion text messages are sent annually, and a substantial percentage of those are sent from the driver’s seat.

Anything that takes a driver’s attention off the road increases the likelihood of an accident, including talking on a cell phone, eating, applying make-up or shaving. But text messaging can be especially dangerous since composing and sending a message requires a driver to look at the phone or device rather than at the highway and surrounding traffic for an extended period of time.

Texting while driving has been identified as a factor in several accidents, with police linking the time phone text messages were sent with the occurrence of fatal automobile crashes. It seems an especially prevalent practice among the young: One insurance company survey found that 19% of drivers admit to sending text messages while driving, and an alarming 37% of drivers between the ages of 18 and 27 engage in the practice.

The problem has become widespread enough for some states, including Washington and Oregon, to take notice and consider legislation that makes driving while texting a crime. Activists are lobbying to include specific texting-while-driving provisions in existing laws that prohibit hand-held electronic devices to be used on the road.

In fact, a recent Harris Interactive poll revealed that 89% of Americans support legislation to ban texting while behind the wheel. And 91% of respondents believed that people who text and drive are just as dangerous as drunks on the road.

What can you do about this problem? Stay safe by resisting the temptation and encouraging others to do the same.


By Personal Perspective

The American Red Cross of Central Maryland reports that in 2004 (the most recent available statistics) fire killed more U.S. citizens than all other natural disasters combined. However, most people aren’t aware of this because house fires are “silent disasters,” seldom receiving the same publicity as floods, hurricanes and earthquakes.

Most people also don’t know that very few fires are caused by natural events such as lightning or static electricity. The American Red Cross says that faulty appliances and faulty wiring cause the greatest number of house fires. The second most common source is heating devices such as heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces. These devices cause fires when furniture, boxes, or clothing are placed too near to them, and the material overheats and bursts into flames.

Human error might be the catalyst for house fires, but human preparedness can prevent them. Here are some tips to keep your family and property safe:

  • Purchase quality equipment that has been tested by Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) or other appropriate testing facilities.
  • Be sure household equipment is installed by a technician who has been trained properly and also knows the appropriate building code requirements for the installation.
  • Have your electrical wiring and heating periodically checked to be sure they are in proper working condition.
  • Don’t operate appliances that are behaving erratically. Call a qualified repairman to find the problem and correct it.
  • Control the amount of combustible material in your home by removing cardboard boxes, newspapers, old mattresses, rags, leftover paint and other items that are no longer in use. In fact, you should periodically inspect the attic and the cellar to be sure that you aren’t storing any combustible materials that should be discarded.
  • Check the type of wall finishes in your home to ensure they aren’t conducive to spreading a fire. Plaster and gypsum board retard fire growth. Plywood paneling made of compressed wood pulp, known as beaverboard, accelerates the spread of fire in dwellings.
  • Place fire extinguishers so they are readily available in the event a fire starts. It is important to understand what type of fire extinguisher to use:
    • Class A extinguishers can be used to put out fires in wood, cloth, paper and rubber.
    • Class B CO2 or foam-filled extinguishers can be used for fires in flammable liquids, gases and greases.
    • Class C CO2 or foam-filled extinguishers can be used for fires in energized electrical equipment.
  • Halon can be used on any type of fire.
  • Put a smoke detector in every room
  • Schedule regular practice fire drills. Be sure children are completely familiar with the correct way to evacuate in the event of a fire.

Don’t let your family be the victim of this “silent disaster.” Become familiar with these fire prevention tips and put them into practice.


By Personal Perspective

Published reports from the U.S. Coast Guard show that boating deaths and injuries increased for the second consecutive year in 2006. Aside from the disturbing trend in boating deaths, the biggest change was actually in the amount of property damage, $43 million in 2006 as compared with $38 million in 2005.

These statistics should serve as a powerful reminder to all watercraft owners to review their insurance coverage. Owners of canoes, small sailboats, and small engine powerboats generally have limited coverage for physical damage included with their Homeowners insurance policy, but Liability coverage has to be added as a policy endorsement. Physical Damage coverage is typically equal to 10% or less of their home’s property value. If you find the coverage limits offered by your Homeowners policy to be insufficient, you’ll likely need a separate Boat insurance policy.

Since no coverage exists under a Homeowners policy for larger boats, yachts, jet skis and wave runners, a separate Boat insurance policy is a must. Coverage for physical damage includes the hull, machinery, fittings, furnishings and permanently attached equipment up to a pre-determined amount. Such policies also provide additional protection for:

  • Injuries to another person
  • Damage to someone else’s property
  • Legal expenses incurred by someone using the boat with the owner’s permission
  • Injuries to the boat owner and other passengers

Even though you might have solid insurance coverage, the Insurance Information Institute (III) offers the following suggestions to help you avoid having to file a claim:

  • Check weather forecasts before heading out
  • Let someone know where you’re going and when you expect to return
  • Check engine, fuel, electrical and steering systems, especially for exhaust-system leaks
  • Carry one or more fire extinguishers, matched to the size and type of boat Keep them readily accessible and in condition for immediate use
  • Equip the vessel with required navigation lights and with a whistle, horn or bell
  • Don’t overload. Distribute weight evenly
  • Don’t stand up or shift weight suddenly in a small boat; and don’t permit riding on the bow, seatbacks or gunwales
  • Be sure you bring paddles or oars, a first-aid kit, a supply of fresh water, a tool kit and spare parts, a flashlight, flares and a radio
  • Make sure that every person on board wears a life jacket
  • Never operate a boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs

Call our specialists to discuss your Boat insurance coverage.


By Personal Perspective

Strangers might come onto your property for all sorts of reasons: A child chasing a ball that accidentally landed in your yard; a meter reader; customers for a yard sale, etc. What’s your liability exposure, and does your Homeowners insurance policy provide the coverage you need?

There’s normally no particular care required of property owners to safeguard people who come onto their property whether the person has been invited or is a trespasser. However, if there’s a dangerous condition on the property that’s not readily apparent and involves something man made, the owner or occupier of the property might have a duty to warn both strangers and guests of that danger. If, for example, there’s a hidden electrified fence, or a bridge that looks safe but is actually rotten and dangerous, you might have a duty to post a warning to protect anyone who might come onto the property. If you fail to warn about a dangerous condition and a person becomes injured, you will likely be partially and perhaps totally, liable for the injury.

Whether you have insurance coverage under the Personal Liability section of your Homeowners policy would depend on the insurance company’s investigation of the event. If investigation reveals that you were aware of the danger and didn’t take reasonable care to prevent people from being injured, the company would likely deny coverage. It might even cancel your policy and you might have difficulty getting a new one.

The duty to warn of a dangerous condition is generally not applied if the hazard on the property was created by nature or the result of natural processes.


Insurers call an item that might attract children an “attractive nuisance.” An attractive nuisance is any object that can be dangerous or deadly to a child, but the child is too young to realize the danger. Swimming pools are the classic example of something that would attract a child and could also be very dangerous to a child. If there is anything on your property that might attract children — such as pools, fountains, machinery, old appliances, or stacks of building materials — you have a special legal responsibility to try to prevent any child who might wander onto your property from being injured. Property owners or occupiers can be liable for injuries a child might sustain when investigating an attractive nuisance — if they have failed to take reasonable precautions to prevent children from being hurt. Most natural conditions, such as a lake or a naturally steep bank, are not considered attractive nuisances. To be liable for injury, the owner or occupant of the object must create or maintain the harmful object.

Obviously, the attractive nuisance concept applies to anything that might attract small children, but it might apply to older children as well if the child was unlikely to understand the danger. If children were known to play in the area and the owner failed to take reasonable precautions to prevent injuries, they are more likely to be found liable. Reasonable precaution will vary depending on the item. Locked fences around swimming pools, trampolines, or old machinery; removing doors from old refrigerators; and storing construction materials safely are some reasonable precautions. Often, such measures are required under local laws. The law doesn’t require owners to childproof their properties yet it does expect people to be alert to potential dangers to children and to take reasonable steps to prevent harm to those too young to understand the danger.

Ask your insurance agent what precautions you should take concerning dangerous but necessary objects — for instance, swimming pools, wells, or machinery. If the company requires a fence, install it, or you could lose your coverage. And, don’t be surprised if your premiums increase for the pleasure of having a pool, trampoline, or other attractive nuisance. We can answer all your questions about your liability and your Homeowners policy, call your agent today.


By Personal Perspective

Your car’s performance relies on a program of regularly scheduled maintenance, and so should your Auto insurance. In the same way that your car needs to be tuned up for it to operate safely and efficiently, your Auto insurance needs to be periodically reviewed to ensure it continues to provide the coverage you need.

When you review your Auto insurance, you should pay careful attention to the following:

  • The Declaration Page – This is usually the first page of the policy. It shows the insured’s name and address, policy dates, and a summary of the policy terms, the coverage limits and what is covered. You need to review and update the information on this page because it affects your coverage needs and the cost of your premiums. Never overlook any updates that need to be made, no matter how seemingly insignificant.
  • The Insuring Agreement – This specifies what the insurance company has agreed to cover in exchange for the premium. An insurance policy begins by declaring what it covers and then proceeds to restrict, limit and exclude coverages. You can’t just read the insuring agreement to understand the coverage your insurer is providing. You must read the entire policy and refer back to the insuring agreement. This will help you identify coverage gaps.
  • The Types of Coverage – The types of required coverage and minimums vary from state to state. The level of coverage is also affected by the age and value of your car. However, there are four types of common coverage that you should include in your insurance assessment.
    1. The first is Liability coverage. This protects you if you hurt someone or damage property while you are driving. As you accumulate more personal wealth, it is imperative that you increase your Liability coverage. Without sufficient liability coverage, you could have your hard earned assets seized to cover a judgment against you.
    2. The second type that needs to be reviewed and updated is your Medical Payments coverage. This covers you if medical expenses are incurred by anyone involved in the accident regardless of who was at fault.
    3. The third type is your Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage. You will be extremely glad you upgraded this coverage if you are ever involved in an accident with a driver who has no insurance, has minimal insurance or is unidentified, as in the case of a “hit and run.”
    4. The last type to be reviewed is your Collision and Comprehensive coverage. Collision covers damage to your car caused by an accident. Comprehensive covers damage caused by anything other than collision. Both coverages are optional. However, if you have a car loan or you are leasing a car, you will be required to carry both collision and comprehensive coverage. If you own your car outright, the decision whether to carry this coverage will depend on the age and value of the vehicle.

Call us today. We’d be happy to perform a thorough review of your Auto insurance needs.